https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJ61w7be2A
I noticed this during Covid, when we had all resigned ourselves to our homes (and fate!), that most of us were talking less amongst ourselves and more with technology. But the research discussed in the video is fascinating.
Apparently, we are speaking 338 fewer words per person
per day, every year, amounting to roughly 28% fewer spoken words in 2019
than in 2005.
Yes, we text and video-call more. But much of that
communication is limited to people we already know.
What about us as a society?
Technology has made many everyday interactions more
efficient. We can order food, groceries, and complete countless transactions
without interacting with another person.
Efficient? Absolutely.
But is efficiency the only thing that matters?
I am naturally quiet and reserved. I prefer to listen more
than talk. Yet this research made me wonder: what happens when everyday
conversations slowly disappear?
Not just deep conversations with friends and family, but the
small ones, a chat with a neighbor, a colleague, a shopkeeper, even a
stranger.
I am not blaming technology, nuclear families, or changing
lifestyles. Just raising a question:
Would it really matter if more of our verbal interactions
were replaced by texts, apps or silence?
Perhaps we’ll become more efficient.
But could we also become less practiced at connecting with
people?
Are we becoming less human in our pursuit of efficiency?
What do you think?

Comments
Post a Comment