Skip to main content

Some Good, Some Not So Good (Book Review)



Book: They Go To Sleep
Author: Saugata Chakraborty
Publication: Notion Press

They Go To Sleep authored by Saugata Chakraborty and published by Notion Press is a collected of 12 short stories. The stories largely based in Kolkata in addition to few other parts of the country as well. In a bunch of 12 stories across genres, one may not have similar opinion about all; however, I would share my honest review here on my overall reading experience.  



The first story – They go to sleep is quite interesting and successfully held readers captive till the end.  It’s a thriller, suspense with a crisp story line and does not drag. It’s a good read; as much as the 12th story - What’s in a name, which also generates interest. It has a happy ending; nevertheless, could have been lengthier. This was too short.

Six days, seven lives, while you are reading the snippets from different states, you will not understand why are these a part of one short story, there seems to be no connect, but wait till to reach the end of it.  Similarly, It was time, is the shortest in the book but will give you Goosebumps in the end. Most of the stories are unpredictable and might leave you amazed.  

In some of the stories, the narration is too verbose, you might lose interest and would want to just rush it up. I have my own doubts, if the author wanted to create something like ‘Sherlock Holmes’??

My ratings: 2.5 out of 5.

I got the book as a part of the review program in Outset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.