Skip to main content

Book Review: Suryavamsha

Book: Suryavamsha: The Noble Kings of Ancient India

Author: Manjunath Dattatreya 

Publication: Notion Press


Mythology, I believe, encourages us to question, reason, comprehend the metaphors, go deep into philosophies and develop our own understanding of it. Suryavamsha: The Noble Kings of Ancient India, by author Manjunath Dattatreya does exactly the same.

This book consists of several stories from the solar dynasty in brief snippets. The key essence of these stories is then highlighted. These stories attempt to answer the question of ‘why’. ‘Why or how did that event find a place in the ancient texts?'; ‘are they still relevant?’; ‘what are they trying to tell us?’



The writing and language are simple and easy to comprehend. Illustrations further, add to the storytelling.

This is an interesting read. Pick it up to decode how mythology that originated centuries back, is still relevant today!

Comments

  1. Yes, I have read it and it is excellent. Points to ponder helps us internalize the wisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Archana, I feel this book does the work that any mythology text is supposed to be doing :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.