Skip to main content

Thriller - Not So Thrilling Enough (Book Review)



Book: In Love with Simran
Author: Kulpreet Yadav
Publication: Srishti Publishers & Distributors

In Love with Simran is supposed to be a romantic thriller, authored by Kulpreet Yadav. It starts with Simran, protagonist – Sanjana’s best friend being murdered. Sanjana decides to bring the murderer to justice; and in that quest she quits her academics, hires a detective and does a whole lot of jassosi and ends up falling in love with the supposed culprit Nik Sethi. 

Meanwhile two more murders take place with the same weapon. There are a few characters in the book to be considered under suspicion - Ruby, Nik, Nik’s mother Rajbala.




Nik who was also Simran’s boyfriend comes across as a mysterious yet admirable person. The plot throws in a couple of more characters, some of which does not really add to the story to a great extent. For an instance Ruby – Nik’s assistant (or personal secretary), she is here to scare away Sanjana and get killed. An attempt to add another twist the story.

Characterisation is good and well-written. The reader can visualise characters. However, there are many questions unanswered in the story for instance, why does Rajbala visit Sanjana’s room late night with her goons. The storytelling lacks element of surprise that a thriller is expected to deliver. The climax could have been better.

It’s a good attempt to create a blend of romantic and thriller plot.

My ratings: 2.5 out of 5.

I received this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.