Skip to main content

Not Too Dreamy... Close To Reality (Book Review)

Image Source
Book: The American Indian Dream
Author: Pranay Sahu
Publisher: Half Baked Beans

I received this book from HBB via Goodreads and the first thing that caught my eye was the name of the book. The American (striked out) Indian Dream, something indeed very new.

The plot is fresh and I must appreciate the research the author has done be it in terms of the activities in the Guru's ashram, the simple things involved in the lifestyle of different cities mentioned or the entrepreneurship and also the insides of media/journalism.




The beginning of the story reminded me of Karan Bajaj's writing. His books 'Johnny Gone Down' and 'The Seeker' reflects similar essence of the raising the curiosity about the protagonist’s life, which was going smooth and then what went wrong. 

In this book, the protagonist Roshan wanted to pursue his career rather ambition in U.S. and it took him great efforts to change his mind and adapt to his situation and pursue his dream in India. The back and forth or the past and present narrative is interestingly carved to keep the readers hooked. Everything was fine, but suddenly one decision took a toll on his career, life and future. He carved a flourishing business from nothing, now will this one event destroy everything??? That's for the readers to fine out :)

What shouldn’t have been in the book, a few grammatical errors; for an example repeated word like ‘started begun' or repetition of few facts/ sentences could have been seriously avoided.
  
Overall, the story which is based in today’s urban set-up, feels very real and practical. It can easily happen to you or me.  

My rating: 3 stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?