On our third anniversary….


Article is dated: July 2016
This article was also published in Writers Ezine in December 2015
Well, December is when we celebrate our marriage anniversary :) 

 -------------------------

Picture Source
It’s been three years since we are married and time just flies...yeah that’s a very clichéd line...perhaps I will say the same thing after 13 years and even after 30 years. 3..13..30 are all numbers modified into years and months and days, what actually counts is how we spend this time. 
These 365 x 3 days gone by has left a lot of learning for me. Well, every day brings some sort of learning if one is ready to learn. These three years has not only taught me about our relationship but has also helped me analyze myself and yes understand you better too. :)

The striking question


Recently a friend asked me 'Do you ever shout at Varun' ... I thought for about a moment and replied “ahhhh, no”. Yes, I sincerely thought about it as I wanted to be truthful to her and essentially to myself. Next she asked, “Does Varun shout at you?”... “No. Not at all”. Wow, I didn't even have to think! "So you guys don't fight??" “No.... Not really,” I replied happily. That moment I realized I have really changed over last three years. Yessss and it dawned on me while I was wording my thoughts.

"Actually, we used to fight. In fact in the first year of our marriage we have serious fights almost once in a month...that was the average".  Yes that's an accurate number as I crossed the dates on calendar on the days we fought (one of the few helpful things I picked up from Bollywood films). I further mentioned that gradually the cross marks on the calendar gradually reduced. How? I did an analysis on why do we fight and if the reasons are genuine? Could the fights have been avoided, if only I would have handled it another way? Or was I completely wrong to say what I did, when I was angry (this was the most difficult... trust me)? Did our fights coincided with my bad days? I did notice how gloomy Varun would feel, when I said something extremely hurtful. The ego plays your mind and uses your tongue as a pawn there, you see.

A new approach
Guess the analysis kind of worked for me. In our second year I thought I should be calmer (read quiet) and I should ignore things that tempted me to argue. I thought if I can keep things to myself and be alone for some time, I would be fine. To avoid arguments, I using a new mantra “Varun, leave me alone for some time, I will be fine”. He did that, thought he would keep wondering ‘what has happened to her now?’ and I would actually be fine and get back to normalcy; however, maybe not for too long.  Emotions and complaints kept piling up and once in a quarter (approx.) we would get into a really big one. Again back to square one! Actually no, even worse, once or twice even Varun left matters open- ended without bothering to resolve it. Perhaps he started feeling 'this is her usual drama'. I understood I need to change my approach and make our lives better.

Last nail on the wall
I realized all I need to do is talk and discuss and highlight the issue that’s bothering me, events that has affected me… not before giving it a good thought. If I am angry about something, I should be able to give a genuine reasons for that (instead of cribbing) and if possible solutions too. The matters should be communicated between 1-24 hours, when the issue is well thought of and needs to be spoken. It is important to express your feelings but equally important to express it in a way that can heal and not hurt. And all this, irrespective of you are right or wrong. By this time we were in our third year of togetherness and I could this approach working pretty well for us. And of course I have stopped marking crosses on the calendar now. :D

Key to success
It is said that ‘communication is the key to a healthy relationship’ I would add to this, by saying that ‘how to communicate, is even more important for a healthy and happy relationship’. It took me a while to comprehend that, but I guess I am there, almost J
As much as it is important to understand your partner in a relationship or marriage, it is equally essential to understand your own self. I always thought that I am very patient and tolerant person, I still believe that but Varun has beaten me in that area.
This is for you… Varun J

I believe that I am not living with you under the same roof because we are married and I am bound by societal norms, but I truly want to be with you all my life long.

I don't love you because we are married now, but I love you enough to spend my life with you, and even if it means being married.

I don't need you to live a life, but I want you to be by my side.
Love you, always!!!

Comments