Heartbeats

Article is dated: July 2016
The above article was also published in Writers Ezine in October 2015


--------------------------

She is God's gift to us, how can He take her away; when she is become the most important part of everybody's lives ...can he really do it???

One week and Netra will turn five. My God! Years fly like butterfly. My little princess is smiling in her dreams. But Amish, the brat who is just six years older to her, can't stop being curious on why is Netra being over-pampered by all. The 11-year old mind puked his list of queries before Mom, as the three of us were lying on the bed.




Well, Netra or Nettu (as we fondly call her) is youngest child, perhaps that's the reason for all the pampering she gets, I had presumed; but destiny had another cheerless story hidden in its arms, which unfolded that dark night.

"Your younger sister was born with a hole in her heart," disclosed mom to me and Amish... for the first time in five years since she was born.

…Hole in her heart the abrupt words and unexpected reply struck me as if a big black stone thrown in the still water. "Don't worry dear, doctor aunty had said it will be fine after she completes her five years of age and tomorrow we are going for her check-up. Things will be fine." Mom's hand consoling Amish's forehead.

My God! Something never thought, only heard of. Something so dreadful to be witnessed so...so close and real to me.

Sleep, no longer willing to meet my eyes now. Silent tears soaked themselves in the pillow.

Still, so clearly I can see the first time I held her tender body in my scared hands. It was my first experience, when I was allowed to touch a new born little cherub-like figure. It was my first chance to admire so closely a round face, soft cheeks, red little nose, tiny lips and teeny ears. The innocent eyes opened and closed again and she yawned. The minute movements from her lips, couldn't have gone unnoticed by me, which communicated with me, yes they said actually asked me, 'here I am in this new world with you, won't you take care of me?'

Her growing up days witnessed plethora of excitement. The stout & healthy girl has now started singing her nursery rhymes. She was emerging as an all-rounder, exceptionally excellent in everything. Her learning and grasping skills has no doubt amazed one and all; but also her ever-friendly and helping nature has immensely impressed us. Her enthusiasm to participate in each and every event she comes across was simply unbelievable for us.

A cheerful child, always happy; happy with my old and broken toys, also. Demanding... not at all and not even priggish. She is not the kind of child who throws tantrums. She always keeps herself occupied with her dolls, some of my old plastic ornaments and a stuffed doggy, under a big table which she calls as her home. When she accidentally broke my only Barbie doll, which I had loved the most until this moment, I couldn't yell at her, assuming I have a real beautiful doll now.

Yes, the long-haired doll was truly a God's gift. So wise and unbiased her decisions, thoughts and words were! It was her innocent and unprejudiced deeds that made us familiar with Dad's smile and that he also has a softer side. Well, where will you find a tot who knows how to handle things no matter however difficult they seem to be. Whenever she found any of the family members in a blue mood, she would unexpectedly come and naively ask, "What happen did Papa/anybody shout at you?", as if she had the solutions for all our problems. Actually she did, with her soothing curve, which always compelled people to smile. Smile that appeared from her clear and truthful heart.

Her heart... why why why... only my little angel why? He can't be so cruel to me.

I closed my eyes and for the first time in my 13 years and said some prayers repeatedly.

I said my prayers and opened my eyes and found my young athlete amidst the big ground, all set for her inter-school finals. Sun rays brilliantly defining her well shaped body. Her perky pony-tail frisking left-right. The new pair of sports shoes smartly fits on her feet. Her strong thighs and muscled legs, the asset of every sportsperson, symbolises all the strength she has stored within. Her mature body language often disguises my office colleagues that she is a college student, which indeed gives me a hard time convincing them that she has just entered her teens now.

There, she waves hand in response to her schoolmates or should I say, 'fans', who are cheering for their school's SPORTS PREFECT (CAPTAIN). They are as sure as I am that she'll make it again this time. Next year, she'll be considered for District Level. Well, even if she doesn't, she has added several feathers in her cap, by also winning medals in shot-put, tennis and not to forget dance too, that too at the age of thirteen years, now. Quite enough to make us all proud!

Alright …there she's posing for her final race... eh ok... take a deep breath, dear. I can see the winning smile on your tanned face. I can smell your confidence. I can hear listen to your heartbeats...

Comments