Skip to main content

Emotional Contagion: When Someone Else’s Mood Becomes Yours

Ever noticed how your mood suddenly changes when you enter a room?

➤ A meeting feels tense.
➤ A party feels energetic.
➤ A holiday destination instantly lifts your mood.

We often call it the “vibe.” But psychology has another explanation: Emotional Contagion.

It is the unconscious process through which we pick up and mirror the emotions of people around us.

And it works both ways.

➤ A stressed colleague can make you feel tense.
➤ An anxious boss can create urgency across the team.
➤ A cheerful person can lift the mood of an entire room.

Why does it matter?

Because emotions don't always stay with the person experiencing them.

➤ One person's irrational urgency can become the team's stress.

➤ One parent's anger can affect the entire family.

➤ One person's enthusiasm can energise everyone around them.

Can we do something about it?

Yes. When it comes to transferring negative emotions, we can pause and notice our own emotional state.

“Am I in the right state of mind to address others?”

Before passing your frustration, anxiety or urgency to someone else, ask:

“Is this my emotion, or have I caught it from someone around me?”

Because sometimes, managing your own mood is not just self-care. It is care for everyone around you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.