Skip to main content

The Halo & Horn Effect

Our brains can influence the way we perceive and judge people!

Yes, you already know it. But let me tell you why?

Ever wondered why one good quality makes us overlook four bad qualities in someone?

You meet a colleague who is extremely articulate and confident.

You immediately think: “She’s smart and capable. She'll probably be a great leader.”

But do we actually know that?

This is the Halo Effect.

One positive quality can influence our overall perception of a person, even when that quality has nothing to do with their actual performance in other areas.

And this happens around us every day:

  • Confident speaker is assumed to be a great leader
  • Charismatic colleague whose mistakes are more easily forgiven
  • Professionally dressed employee is perceived as more competent

But why does this matter?

Because the Halo Effect can quietly influence hiring, promotions, performance reviews, leadership opportunities, collaboration and even whose ideas get heard.

We may believe we are making objective decisions, while unconsciously allowing one positive characteristic to color our entire perception.

And then comes the opposite… The Horn Effect.

Horn Effect works in reverse. One negative trait can color everything else we see about a person.

Someone is rude once → “He is arrogant.”
Someone makes one mistake → “She is careless.”
Someone disagrees with us → “He is difficult to work with.”

So, before forming an opinion, pause and ask:

a.       What do I actually know about this person?

b.      Am I judging the whole person based on one trait or one incident?

c.       What evidence supports my perception?

Because sometimes, we aren't seeing the person as they are.

We are seeing them through the halo, or the horn, we've placed around them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.