Skip to main content

The Person You Are. The Person You Want to Be.

Raj (naam toh suna hi hoga) aspires to be among the high performers in the team, but despite all his efforts, he believes he is average. He thinks,

“I want to be creative, but I’m afraid of being judged.”  and 

“I want to sound confident, but I constantly second-guess myself.”

Sounds familiar?

At home, he wants to spend more time with his wife and son, but his work keeps him away from dinner table, in his room converted into home office.  

Socially, he often wants to say no to friends, but being a good-hearted person, he ends up helping them more than he can. People know him as someone who can be counted upon.

Outcome: work-life imbalance, stress, anxiety, unhappiness, fatigue, self-doubt, defensiveness and more.

Raj has a set definition of the person he wants to become – ‘Ideal Self’, and he is striving hard for it, but he ends up being another person (Real Self).

According to Carl Rogers theory:

  • Real Self - is what the person believes they are 
  • Ideal Self - what they want to become.

When the two matches, it creates happiness, satisfaction and balance. If there is a gap between the two, it results in disappointment and dissatisfaction.

Can something be done about it? Yes!!

Raj should:

  1. Analyze if the ‘Ideal Self’ that he defined for himself is realistic. If not then identify what he genuinely wants to be or achieve in life (not what organization, family or society expects).
  2. Evaluate what his ‘Real Self’ is at that point
  3. Examine the gap between the ideal and real self (Ideal --> Real)
  4. Work towards closing that gap and not perfection.

He need not become a different person, but his actions, values and sense of self should be aligned.

The goal is not to become the “perfect” version of ourselves, but to become more comfortable with who we are, while consciously working towards who we want to be.

And maybe, that is where real satisfaction, peace, and happiness begin.

More Read Suggestions: Carl Rogers' humanistic theory + Real Self + Ideal Self

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Personal Space And Accepting Oneself (Book Review)

Image Source Book: My Space My Body – starring Taka Dimi Author: Roopa Pai Illustrator: Archana Sreenivasan Publisher: Fitkids Education and Training Pvt Ltd For: Children above 3 years Books for children is an important responsibility; not just for the publishers and authors, but also for the parents and teachers. It is essential that the books we share with our children should not just be informative and engaging but also educational. My Space My Body (MSMB) is an interesting blend of all the above elements.

From ‘ASL Pls’ To Emoji’s

I don’t get tired; no really, I do not get tired or bored at all narrating our story to anyone. Infact every new person I meet, I try to grab this opportunity to talk about us – You and I!   And I surprise myself when I realise that I still remember it all so well. Every single detail of 4 years of friendship, 4 years of long-distance relationship, and 7 years of being married. Well, can’t really say that about the last 7 years :P, but the first 8 years are like embedded in my DNA. Pic clicked by Sudipto Roy I think our story is unique. It’s beautiful. Just 15 years old but so much has changed in this one and half-decade. Or not much?

Draupadi - Action Prevails Emotions

The woman of Kaliyuga…. before the Kaliyuga descended One of the few very clear memories I still have of my childhood is when my mother was feeding me lunch and we were happily chatting about Mahabharata. While talking, I said ‘when I grow up, I want to become Draupadi’. She yelled at me ‘ pagal ho gayi ho kya?, kuch bhi bak bak karti ho. Khana khao chup chap ’. I was taken aback by her sudden anger. Barely 7-8 years of age, I didn’t quite understand the reason for her annoyance, then. Today, after decades I certainly do. Indeed, I do understand, why a mother wouldn’t want her daughter to become Draupadi or even get closer to what she suffered. All said and done, she was the heroine of the one of the only two greatest epics of the country’s history – Mahabharata.