That झूला In My Balcony


There’s a single-seater white झूला occupying the space in my house balcony (yes, my house has balconies. Not one but two!). I have always loved the thought of having a झूला in a balcony or a veranda in a house. It has been one of my most desired things on the list of home décor, or essentials, actually.

This झूला bought on amazon made with wood and the white rope is very special to me; it’s like what I would call “my space”. I can sit on it for hours together doing things that like (reading, surfing, chatting, listening to music) or just not doing anything. Simply staring at the horizon.

Mostly, I sit on it thinking of everything that is possible – the past, present, and future. It is very relaxing and calming, you see, just sitting there with a cup of morning tea or evening coffee.   


Or even जब बारिश होती है ना, I sit on it and swing it gently allowing my skin to absorb the coolness of the water.

Whether I am alone or with any company, this झूला is my comforter.

When I have company (husband, mom, relatives, or friends), this झूला silently swings as if हमारी कहानियां सुन रहा हैं. But when I am alone in the balcony, it becomes my main character. It becomes my tool of time travel, literally. 

I swing it gently and it sends me back to the past recollecting the good days and bad ones too; sometimes it takes me to the future also, again pondering over good prospects and bad choices. But then it brings me back to the present, just being there with me and listening to my thoughts without any opinions or judgments.

 I feel very comfortable holding the arms made of thick ropes on the sides of the झूला. It's funny but it does feel like I am holding somebody’s hand.

This झूला – a materialistic object, my relationship with it is so non-materialistic. 

It is so surprising how this inanimate simple thing that money can buy, can have such a huge impact (intangible, of course) on my being.

Do you have any such special relationship with an inanimate object, that comforts your soul? Tell me what is it and how does it touch your life? (BTW, I am not counting any electronic devices in this list, okay).  

Comments