Author of the Weekend - Dr. Harshali Singh

Dr. Harshali Singh is a New Delhi based Member of the Consumer Grievance Redressal Forum- BYPL, a former member at the Consumer District Redressal Forum, an Author, a Poet, an academician, a teacher trainer, an Occupational Therapist, an avid reader and a passionate Painter.

She has written in several literary genres ranging from poetry to fiction, columns to essays. She is the contributing author in several anthologies and regularly writes for e-magazines. She is the author of the Haveli Series and is currently working on the third book in the nine-book series and one of the Write India- Season 2 winners.

She believes that her role as a Member Judge in the consumer forum, a mentor and a teacher trainer her a wide arena from where to draw insights and understand people better while continuously broadening her own acumen and perception. Painting is another way that she finds inspiration.

She has chaired discussions with eminent personalities in their chosen fields of World Peace, Meditation, Infertility and Social Causes and stalwarts in the field of Writing.

Read on to get a sneak-peek on my interaction with her.  


When was the first time you realized that you could become an author? 

I was always writing. It was only in 2015 when I finished my first manuscript. I felt I could become an author of some standing because I was able to write a book that I was happy with. Taking that risk and believing in myself catapulted me into a beautiful trajectory. 

Everyone writes for different reasons. I always wrote because it allowed me to question, to start a dialogue, and to evoke a response. Hence, both my books and stories need to be from an authentic place.

The fact that I got published, my characters were accepted, liked, and found relatable was a blessing. 

 

The Haveli series has two books as of now – stories of Aruna & Bhavya (Bee). Will it be the story of the third daughter - Charu, and what will it be all about? Any tentative timelines for it? 

The ‘Haveli Series’ consists of eight books. Out of which two books have already been released. 

'A window to her Dreams’, the story about Aruna, the first daughter of the Sharma family and ‘Anatomy of Choice’, the story about Bhavya, the second daughter, are already released.

I am hopeful that Charu’s story, who is the third daughter and whose story I am currently working on, is released before this year ends. God and COVID willing!

This story is character and plot-driven in keeping with my style of writing and with the first two books. It is a woman-centric story and hopefully will be unputdownable. 


You usually write in contemporary adult fiction, and recently you have written short stories under Folk tales and Erotica as well. How was that experience?

The lockdown gave new wings to my pen. I started experimenting with short stories with The Write India Competition, which is a unique platform for writers. An initiative by the Times of India Group under the aegis and mentorship of Ms. Vinita Dawra Nangia, it gives writers from all backgrounds equal footing and, a chance. 

Needless to say that when I won the Season 2 of Write India on Chitra Divakaruni’s prompt; I was ecstatic. Season 3 had me winning a slot in the top 10 for the prompt by Amitav Ghosh. 

This gave me the confidence to try my hand at different genres that I would feel wary of trying. The erotic story, ‘The Therapist’ and the ‘Chiranjeevi Jambavan’ which is published in ‘The book of Indian Mythology’ by Readomania were the most fun to write. Both stories were on the opposite ends of the spectrum of imagination and research. Changing my mental gears was a task, but that is the best part of writing, you can edit, evolve, and do better.

When I write without any expectations, I am a happier writer, and so it was a roller coaster ride to write for such a diverse platform. 

Are you planning to explore any other genre? Which one would it be?

I want to try Experimental Fiction, A Children’s book, and Magical Realism next. 

 

Authors, who inspire you?

I can re-read all the books by Jane Austen. She was way ahead of her times. There is rebellious freedom to the women she writes about that I find captivating. Her books are about – why not's?  

Margret Atwood, Leo Tolstoy, Nora Roberts, Jude Deveraux, Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, Kavita Kane’, Anand Neelakantan and so many more.

 

What are you working on next?

I am working on a book on called Parenting during a Pandemic; a short story in the thriller genre and the third book in the Haveli Series, at the moment. 

Comments